Federal agencies were created to oversee specific areas or aspects of the government's responsibility to its citizens. Federal a
gencies also do specific jobs that the government has promised to perform. As the role of government and the needs of people and society have changed, new agencies have been established. You will choose one federal agency to discuss in an informative essay. You should do outside research and write an essay on the structure of the agency and its function.
<u>It is an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services whose main purpose is to enforce the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Law.</u> The agency ensures that food for sale in the United States is safe, pure and healthy; that medications and therapeutic devices are safe and effective; that cosmetics are harmless; and that all these products are correctly labeled and packed. The FDA is also responsible for enforcing federal law that requires informational labels on any household product that is toxic, corrosive, irritant or flammable or that generates pressure from decomposition or heat.
<u>The main five responsibilities of the FDA are:
1. Promote public health by helping to accelerate product innovations.
2. Protect public health by ensuring that food (except beef, poultry and some egg products regulated by the United States Department of Agriculture) is safe, healthy, sanitary and properly labeled; Ensure that human and veterinary medicines and vaccines and other biological products and medical devices intended for human use are safe and effective.
3. Regulation of tobacco products.
4. Ensure that cosmetics and dietary supplements are safe and properly labeled.
5. Protect the public from the radiation of electronic products.